Thoughts On Washington Parenting

Thoughts


Blog posts written by our friends and members on issues of interest to parents everywhere. Find out more about us at http://www.washingtonparenting.org/

8/14/2011

Real World Movie Ratings!

by guest blogger Amy Lang
sex ed expert at Birds & Bees & Kids


I just saw Bad Teacher (this URL is to a detailed description of the movie) a very highbrow flick involving so much use of the f-bomb in context I was wowed.  I may have been a little over sensitive to it because there was a 9 or 10 year old boy and two 13 year old (I’m hoping) girls watching along with me.

Don’t worry, they were there with their parents, so it’s okay. You all know I love it when parents are REALLY open with their kids about sex. Love. It. Especially since I think it’s really awesome for a 10 year old to hear things like “I caught my finance trying to have sex with the dog. There was peanut butter everywhere.”  I'm joking, of course!

It was sex ed day for that family and little old judgmental me got to have her movie going experience kinda ruined because I was stressing out about these kids watching this really raunchy stuff.

So, for your information (and mine) here is a link to a lovely site that lets you make an informed decision about movies you take your kids to or let them see.

Movies are really big, loud and real and can scar, scare and confuse children if they aren’t capable of processing the content.

Kids In Mind has a great rating system based on profanity, gore/violence and sex and nudity. They spell it out so you can make an informed decision. Go read up on the films out right now. You might change your mind about letting your kids see them.

PS - The movie was pretty funny – just check your expectations at the door and leave your kids at home, please!


(c) 2011, Amy Lang. All rights reserved.

Views expressed by guest bloggers may not be the views of Washington Parenting Education Network or all of its members. Guest bloggers are wholly responsible for the content of their posts.

No comments:

Post a Comment